you’ve gotta know when to hold ‘em…

Kenny Rogers

I *knew* it was just a matter of time before I was able to use Kenny Rogers on my blog.

And it’s all thanks to Joshua Porter who has written a great post comparing design with playing cards.

Each design is a new hand of cards. Not only are the cards we’re holding different every time, but so are the hands of the other players. Our hand is our own knowledge of the design project, and the hands of the others are the constraints that we must deal with.

Josh uses the card game metaphor to demonstrate how every design situation must be considered afresh and all the constraints, requirements and opportunities be evaluated anew each time. That old ‘tricks’ don’t necessarily apply in a new situtation. Or, to borrow his great closing line ‘three fives beat two aces every time.’

I’ll definitely be borrowing this analogy in the future. Go read it now, you’ll love it.

Technorati Tags: ,

8 Responses to “you’ve gotta know when to hold ‘em…”

1. James Mc Parlane March 20, 2006 at 1:15 pm #

When I read your blog I hear your voice as I read.

You are one of the few bloggers that I read and know their voice so well that I can synthesise it in my head.

It is both comforting and unnerving. :)

2. leisa.reichelt March 20, 2006 at 1:26 pm #

are you talking about my singing voice James? I hope not!

thank you! I really appreciate that feedback.

3. James Mc Parlane March 22, 2006 at 9:17 am #

I make a post and you stop blogging? :(

More! More!

4. genevieve tucker March 22, 2006 at 1:59 pm #

That is such a great song. I don’t think I’ve seen the cover before though. Thanks for that.

5. leisa.reichelt March 22, 2006 at 7:43 pm #

kenny rogers is the cover?!
    not in my book, but I’m always open to being wrong :)

James – sorry – work is slaying me at the moment.
    I have a backlog of stuff to write… just trying to find the time

bless.

6. leisa.reichelt March 22, 2006 at 7:44 pm #

oh wait… you mean the album cover…
    eh. ambiguity.

7. Joshua Porter March 22, 2006 at 9:51 pm #

Love the reference to the Gambler, Leisa! That rocks.

8. genevieve tucker March 23, 2006 at 8:05 am #

Sorry, Leisa – us olds still think of album covers as simply that!! (Attribution was not a regular practice ‘way back when either’ – although Led Zep got given a hard time about a few of theirs as they were fairly derivative of some well known blues tunes. )

It’s so nice to see the artwork for a change!! I often quote that song to myself when dealing with difficult people. I especially like ‘You never count your money when you’re sitting at the table…’ Great stuff.