going pink (not just for October)

Pink for October

I’m guessing that most of you can’t even remember what my blog looks like, but I thought I’d let you know that I’ve *finally* got around to making my blog a little more personal (not that K2 isn’t a fine WordPress theme… it was time for a change).

It wasn’t really a particularly well planned exercise, and so I’ve unexpectedly found that I seem to have gone Pink, in October. So let’s pretend it was deliberate and I’ll say that I’ve Gone Pink For October.(Just don’t be surprised when November swings around and the pink goes nowhere!)

Now, I’m still ironing out a few bits and pieces (most noticeably, I can’t get my Archives page to work properly yet… even though I’ve achieved this on another blog elsewhere… ). I’d be interested to hear if you think this is an improvement and what you think you’d do differently. Oh, and what you like – I’d like to hear that too!

Don’t hold back. I’ve got a thick skin when it comes to anything design!

9 Responses to “going pink (not just for October)”

1. leisa.reichelt October 7, 2006 at 11:31 pm #

ok. archives page is fixed now!

2. Damian October 8, 2006 at 12:34 am #

That looks really nice! Well done.

3. anne October 8, 2006 at 9:31 pm #

Looks nice… I like the comment box on the side here.

4. Pete October 9, 2006 at 5:42 pm #

I thought “pretty design pending” was quite an apt tag line for an IA…

5. leisa.reichelt October 9, 2006 at 6:06 pm #

thx Damian & Anne :)

hey Pete, I agree. Expect a reappearance of that tag line in the near future :)

6. Gordon October 9, 2006 at 11:53 pm #

Excellent. It’s not too “Web 2.0″ but has some nice touches, this comment box being the main one (that I’ve spotted so far).

Only one thing I’d change, the “notify me of followup comments via e-mail” defaults to on.. that bugs the crap outta me. Some threads I’ll choose to follow but ones, like this, I’m not as concerned if I don’t keep track. Hmmm that reads nastier than it should, but I hope you get my point.

Ohh and thanks. You’ve given my ‘design bug’ a wake up call!

7. leisa.reichelt October 10, 2006 at 8:31 am #

oooh, thanks for pointing out that default on thing Gordon – I never really get to see that because I’m always logged in when I’m commenting and it knows that I don’t need to sign up to follow the thread! I’ll wait until I’m feeling technically inclined then take a look at the code and see if I can sort it out! :)

8. craig October 10, 2006 at 3:56 pm #

Hey Leisa, love (most) of the new design! :)

My first suggestion would be to change the “Type your comments here” in the comment box to a background image so that I don’t have to select it before I start typing… or you could do some fancy javascipt that makes the text disappear after an onfocus event.

Longer input areas for name, email and website would be good too.

I’m still getting used to the pink burning my retina’s btw! :P Other than that, I really like the footer and overall design. Now for the bad news (brace yourself). I can’t say the same for the header. Doesn’t feel like it fits with the rest of the theme and I miss the pretty design penting tagline too. The header isn’t clickable to get home either.
    When I first saw “Subscribe to this feed” next to comments on each post on the home page I thought, “comment feed subscription?” until I hovered them. That might just be me as I’ve been thinking about comment feeds recently.

Looking good though, and I too have gone pink for october… at least my cereal has in support. ;)

9. leisa.reichelt October 12, 2006 at 11:46 pm #

hey Craig – thanks for such detailed comments! Much appreciated.

To put my blog redesign in context you should know that neither visual design nor coding are big in my skills tool kit.

I should generally be barred from making colour palette decisions,and I code for necessity only. So that means that I try my best to find a WordPress theme that I think is something I can live with and that forms the majority of the work for me!

Then, based on feedback from people like you and things that really start to annoy me, I gradually work out how to fix stuff. (Or maybe tone down the pink a bit!)

So, I really appreciate the feedback and although changes won’t happen immediately, they will happen! :)

Anyone else out there with an opinion? :)