At the beginning of this project we invited you to do a ‘show and tell’ of anything you’ve done to a Drupal Admin System that you think we should pay attention to – anything from a customised administration system, to a better view of content, to an in-line editing tool – whatever you think we should see. Happily, we’ve seen a few people participate and some interesting concept. (You can see some of there on our YouTube group).
You may also remember a little exercise we did for the Drupal.org project where we invited anyone to submit a wireframe of a page they though needed some attention and what they’d do to it (you can see the original post here)…
well… now is the time for us to bring that all together and to kick off ‘Pimp Your *Imaginary* Admin’ for the D7UX project!
Here’s how it works:
- pick *something* or *somewhere* in Drupal admin that you think is particularly in need of love
- get out your pen, pencil, visio, powerpoint, whatever works best for you (I’d encourage you to consider pencil!)
- sketch out how you think it *should* work.
- post your sketch(s) somewhere we can see them – the Flickr group is ideal for this if you’re a Flickr member (or inclined to become one) but if you post it on your own site, or wherever you share pictures and link to it in the comments below we will *definitely* take a look.
- this is optional but we would consider you most excellent if you do it – take a short movie of your sketch(es) and talk us through them. Your movie should include: a) a statement of the problem – what are you fixing? what is currently wrong with it? b) an overview of your solution – how it works, why it solves the problem. Post the movie to YouTube and add it to our YouTube Group (again, same applies here, if you’d rather post it elsewhere, just link to it in comments below and we’ll make sure it gets looked at!)you can see a kind-of example of what your video might look like in the prototype walk-thru we do around 3 mins into this video.
- go fast! Donâ€™t spend too long on it – try to spend no more than a few minutes on a wireframe. If youâ€™re not happy with it (and you probably wonâ€™t be at first!) just put it to one side and start fresh. You donâ€™t want to labour over them too much at this stage.
- you don’t have to be good at drawing: just take a quick browser through the images on the Flickr group if you want to get a sense of how un-pretty our wireframes usually are (particularly mine!). They’re not meant to be pretty, they’re meant to communicate. Even if they don’t do that, we have the video :) Don’t be shy.
- everyone’s invited (not just ‘designers’) – Donâ€™t think you have to be a designer or a UX person to participate in this exercise – this is all hands on deck. If you’re not an experience Drupal user or designer, you may actually be at an advantage in this exercise!
Really, really, really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Let me know if you have any questions.
X-posted from: www.d7ux.org/pimp-your-imaginary-admin/
One thought on “Drupal7 UX Project – Come Wireframe With Us!”
Great job on taking this on! Loved the fresh perspective in the videos!
Admin Menu module is missing from the wireframe! Admin Menu MUST BE IN CORE. Single biggest thing missing from Drupal stock.
Admin MENU must be in CORE.
Admin Menu must be enabled by DEFAULT.
Comments are closed.